Mahachai Road along the city wall 

     Maha Chai Road runs along the city wall around the Mahakan Fort area. Its route begins after Ratchadamnoen Klang Road and is followed by Chakkraphet Road. It intersects with Bamrung Mueang Road, Luang Road, Charoen Krung Road, and Yaowarat Road. This road earns its name from Maha Chai Fort, which once stood opposite the Buraphaphirom Palace. Like Phra Sumen Fort and Mahakan Fort, this fort was one of the fourteen built during King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke’s reign.

Maha Chai Road cuts past countless areas of notable markets, for instance, the Buraphaphirom Palace commercial district, Sampheng Market, Phahurat Market, and Yaowarat Road.

This road stretches alongside the museum, beginning at the Yommarat Intersection and ending at Phan Fa Lilat Bridge. The suburb area was once used to raise the royal buffalo, therefore, earning Sanam Krabue Road (buffalo field road) as its unofficial name. His Majesty King Chulalongkorn (King Rama V), later, ordered palaces to be built in the area for six royal nephews, the sons of his younger brother, His Royal Highness Prince Chaturonrasmi, the Prince Chakkrabatradipongse (the founder of the house of Chakrabandh).

These palaces were built in sets of pairs with each facing the opposite direction as follows:

– The palace of Prince Anuphong Chakrapat and the palace of Prince Anuwat Chaturon.
– The palace of Prince Danai Woranut and the palace of Prince Darun Waiyawat.
– The palace of Prince Piyabutr and the palace of Prince Totsasiriwongsa.       

Afterward, a new road ran past these royal residences and was named “Lan Luang” road as a result.
Aside from Lan Luang Road, two other routes share a similar name: Luk Luang and Luang Road.      

This road runs parallel to Phadung Krung Kasem canal and connects to Nakhon Phathom Road, Rama V road, Nakhon Sawan Road, and Lan Luang Road. It is close to Saphan Khao market and Samananam Borihan Temple (Wat Yuan Saphan Khao)

The road “Luk Luang” may share a similar origin to “Lan Luang” road since it cuts through the zone where the following palaces of King Chulalongkorn’s sons used to be situated;
          – Ladawan Palace or the Red Palace of Prince Yugala Dighambara, Prince of Lopburi.
          – The palace of Prince Pravitra Vadhanodom, Prince of Prachinburi
          – The palace of Prince Abhakara Kiartivongse, Prince of Chumphon, commonly known as “Nang Loeng Palace”, at present Rajamangala University of Technology Phra Nakhon stands in its place.
          – Chaiya Palace of Prince Chaiyasi Suriyophat, it is now the headquarter of the Department of Provincial Administration, Ministry of Interior.

Beginning after Maha Chai Road and ending before Krung Kasem Road, this particular road runs past Worachak neighborhood and Klang Hospital. The road was constructed in 1893 at the suggestion of Prince Sonabandit, the then Minister of the Ministry of Public Works that there should be a new road for ease of travel to Hua Lamphong railway station both by foot and by carriage.

          This road runs diagonally across the museum, connecting to the Mahadthai Uthit Bridge (the Weeping Bridge). It provides a possible route to Wat Saket (Phu Kao Thong or “Golden Mountain Temple”). The passage also cuts horizontally across Phra Nakhon and links to other roads including Bamrung Mueang Road, Luang Road, Charoen Krung Road, and Yaowarat Road.

          This historic road is regarded as the most significant thoroughfares within Phra Nakhon. It was built in the reign of King Chulalongkorn to link the new Dusit Compound to the Grand Palace. The avenue comprises three roads: Ratchadamnoen Nai, Ratchadamnoen Klang, and Ratchadamnoen Nok (Respectively Inner, Middle, and Outer Ratchadamnoen). Inspired by contemporary European boulevards, the passage features wide drive lanes for vehicular traffic and pedestrian walkways.



     ถนนพระสุเมรุ เป็นถนนที่อยู่ในย่านสำคัญ ด้วยมีชุมชนหลายแห่ง สถานที่สำคัญทางศาสนา และเป็นย่านการค้าแสนคึกครื้นมาตั้งแต่อดีต จุดเริ่มต้นของถนนอยู่ที่ป้อมพระสุเมรุ ติดกับถนนพระอาทิตย์ พาดยาวเลียบคลองบางลำพูไปจนถึงถนนราชดำเนินกลางบริเวณแยกผ่านฟ้าลีลาศ และยังตัดผ่านไปยังถนนหลายสาย เช่น ถนนพระอาทิตย์ ถนนจักรพงษ์ ถนนตะนาว ถนนสามเสน ถนนประชาธิปไตย และถนนดินสอ 

     ชื่อถนนนั้นเป็นไปตามชื่อตามป้อมพระสุเมรุที่อยู่ต้นสาย ป้อมพระสุเมรุ เป็นหนึ่งในสิบสี่ป้อมที่สร้างขึ้นตั้งแต่รัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระพุทธยอดฟ้าจุฬาโลกมหาราช รัชกาลที่ 1 และยังเป็นป้อมที่มีอยู่ในปัจจุบัน เช่นเดียวกับป้อมมหากาฬ

Phra Sumen Road

Phra Sumen Fort in the Past

Phra Sumen Road runs through a long-established commercial district comprising many communities, religious sites, and rows of shophouses. The road itself starts at Phra Sumen Fort where Phra Atit Road ends. Its route leads alongside Bang Lamphu canal and finishes at Phan Fa Lilat intersection of Ratchadamnoen Klang Road. It connects with several other roads such as Phra Atit Road, Chakrabongse Road, Tanao Road, Samsen Road, Prachathipatai Road, and Dinso Road.
The road is named after Phra Sumen Fort, its starting point. One of the fourteen forts built in the reign of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke (King Rama I), this fort and Mahakan fort are now the only two forts left standing as historical sites in Phra Nakhon.

พระเมรุมาศ พระบาทสมเด็จพระจุลจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว รัชกาลที่ 5

พระราชพิธีพืชมงคลจรดพระนังคัลแรกนาขวัญ เนื่องในโอกาสวันพืชมงคล วันที่ 13 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ.2509

งาน นาเชอนนัล เอกซฮิบิชัน (National Exhibition) ในคราวฉลองพระนครครบรอบ 100 ปี พ.ศ. 2425 รัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระจุลจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว

งานฉลองรัฐธรรมนูญ ณ สนามหลวง พ.ศ.2481


     สนามหลวง หรือเรียกกันตามชื่อเดิมว่า ทุ่งพระเมรุ เนื่องจากใช้เป็นพื้นที่สำหรับพระเมรุมาศถวายพระเพลิงพระบรมศพพระมหากษัตริย์และพระราชวงศ์ชั้นสูง สร้างขึ้นในรัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระพุทธยอดฟ้าจุฬาโลกมหาราช ในช่วงรัชกาลที่ 1 ถึง รัชกาลที่ 3 การใช้พื้นที่ท้องสนามหลวงเป็นไปตามพระราชประสงค์ของพระมหากษัตริย์ในการประกอบพระราชพิธีต่าง ๆ เท่านั้น เช่น พิธีแรกนาขวัญ พระราชพิธีพืชมงคล พระราชพิธีพิรุณศาสตร์ (พิธีขอฝน) และการทำนาหลวง เป็นต้น

     ในรัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระจุลจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว สนามหลวงได้รับการปรับปรุงให้มีพื้นที่กว้างขึ้น เพื่อรองรับการเปลี่ยนแปลงในแง่ของการใช้งานที่จะเกิดขึ้นจากอิทธิพลของตะวันตกที่เริ่มเข้ามาตั้งแต่สมัยรัชกาลที่ 4 ทำให้กิจกรรมที่เกิดขึ้นบนท้องสนามหลวงมีความหลากหลาย ค่อย ๆ เปิดรับให้ประชาชนเข้ามามีส่วนร่วมมากยิ่งขึ้น ประกอบไปด้วย งานฉลองพระนครครบรอบ 100 ปี ที่มีกระบวนพยุหยาตราอันยิ่งใหญ่ การจัด “นาเชอนนัล เอกซฮิบิเชน (National Exhibition)” เป็นการแสดงสินค้าที่ผลิตในประเทศสยามให้ประชาชนเข้าชมเป็นเวลา 3 เดือน และการตั้งโรงทานรอบสนามหลวง ต่อมาในรัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระมงกุฎเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว มีการใช้สนามหลวงเป็นที่สวนสนามและการซ้อมรบของเหล่าเสือป่าและลูกเสือ สืบเนื่องมาจนถึงรัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระปกเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว ที่ยังคงมีการจัดงานพระราชพิธีบนท้องสนามหลวงเรื่อยมา แม้ว่าบางงานจะมิได้ใหญ่โตเอิกเกริก เนื่องจากภาวะเศรษฐกิจตกต่ำในประเทศขณะนั้นก็ตาม ภายหลังการเปลี่ยนแปลงการปกครอง พ.ศ.2475 จึงเป็นจุดเปลี่ยนของสนามหลวงที่เปิดรับประชาชนอย่างเต็มกำลังในขณะเดียวกัน ยังคงเป็นพื้นที่ของพระราชพิธีและรัฐพิธีอยู่แสดงให้เห็นถึงการใช้พื้นที่ร่วมกัน แม้การ
เปลี่ยนแปลงของสนามหลวงในปัจจุบัน จะทำให้ภาพของประชาชนเลือนรางไปก็ตาม

สนามหลวง: ในฐานะพื้นที่สาธารณะของประชาชน

(1) การเล่นว่าว การแข่งขันและกิจกรรมยามว่างสำหรับประชาชน

(2) ตลาดนัดสนามหลวง ส่วนที่จำหน่ายต้นไม้และพืชพันธุ์ต่าง ๆ

(3) ตลาดนัดสนามหลวง มุมหนังสือสำหรับนักอ่าน

(4) สนามหลวงในฐานะที่พักพิงของใครหลาย ๆ คน

     ถึงแม้ว่าสนามหลวงจะไม่ได้เกิดขึ้นมาเพื่อเป็นสวนสาธารณะ แต่ลักษณะของสนามหลวงสามารถตอบโจทย์กิจกรรมได้หลายรูปแบบ เนื่องจากมีพื้นที่กว้างใหญ่ อยู่ใกล้สถานที่สำคัญและแหล่งท่องเที่ยวในพระนครภายหลังการเปลี่ยนแปลงการปกครอง พ.ศ.2475 บทบาทของสนามหลวงเปลี่ยนไปอย่างเห็นได้ชัด มีการจัดกิจกรรมที่เกี่ยวข้องกับประชาชนมากขึ้นจากเดิม อาทิ ในสมัยที่จอมพล ป. พิบูลสงคราม เป็นนายกรัฐมนตรี สนามหลวงรับบทเป็นพื้นที่สาธารณะ ด้วยการใช้เป็น “ตลาดนัดสนามหลวง” ซึ่งเป็นผลมาจากนโยบายให้มีตลาดนัดทุกจังหวัดเพื่อกระตุ้นเศรษฐกิจ และเป็นพื้นที่ที่ได้รับอนุญาตให้จัดเวทีปราศรัยแสดงความคิดเห็นทางการเมือง เรียกว่า “ไฮปาร์ก” หลังจากนั้นถึงแม้ว่าตลาดนัดจะถูกยกเลิกไปในสมัยของพล.อ. เกรียงศักดิ์ ชมะนันท์ สนามหลวงกลายมาเป็นสถานที่พักผ่อนหย่อนใจของประชาชน มีกิจกรรมเกิดขึ้นมากมาย เช่น การเป็นสวนสาธารณะ การเล่นกีฬา และสิ่งที่ไม่ขัดกับมุมมองของรัฐ มีหลายครั้งที่รัฐพยายามจัดโครงการปรับปรุงพื้นที่ เป็นเหตุให้กิจกรรมเหล่านั้นของประชาชนถูกยกเลิกไป แต่นั่นไม่ได้ทำให้ความเป็นพื้นที่สาธารณะของสนามหลวงหายไป ในทางกลับกัน นี่ทำให้ประชาชนหลายคนรู้จักและรับรู้ถึงเหตุการณ์ต่าง ๆ ที่เกิดขึ้น ณ ที่แห่งนี้

The Royal Cremation of H.M. King Chulalongkorn (King Rama V)

The Royal Ploughing Ceremony on 13th May 1966

National Exhibition on the Occasion of the 100th Anniversary of Phra Nakorn in 1882 in the Reign of H.M. King Chulalongkorn

The Celebration of the Constitution Day in 1938

          Constructed in the reign of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke (Rama I), this vast open field earned its original name, Thung Phra Men, from its purpose as a royal cremation ground for past kings and close relatives. Throughout the reign of King Rama I to King Rama III, the function of Sanam Luang was linked to the wish of the King and royal ceremonies. For example, it was the venue for the Royal Ploughing Ceremony, the Harvest Festival, the Rain-Beckoning Rituals, and the location of Royal paddy fields during rice-planting seasons.

          In the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V), Sanam Luang was expanded to accommodate new functions. The western influence had been steadily increasing ever since the reign of King Mongkut (Rama IV). It gave rise to various activities taking place on the ground, encouraging more participation by the people. Examples of such activities were the centennial celebration of Bangkok with its grand royal procession and the National Exhibition that displayed Siamese-made products and was open to the general public for three months. At the time, there was an establishment of several almshouses around the premise as well. Later, in the reign of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI), Sanam Luang was used for military parade inspection. It was also a training ground for the King’s paramilitary militia, Wild Tiger Corps and Tiger Cups, its youth counterpart. In the Reign of King Prajadhipok (Rama VII), royal ceremonies were still held on the ground, albeit on a smaller scale, due to the then economic crisis. The Siamese Revolution of 1932 was a turning point where the function of Sanam Luang had shifted to fully accept the people, while simultaneously maintaining its status as a ceremonial site for both the state and the crown. It depicts how the space is shared across the board, although subsequent changes may omit the people from the picture somewhat.

(1) Kite Surfing, One of the most famous activities on Sanam Luang

(2) The Flea Market on Sanam Luang, Plant Market Zone

(3) The Flea Market on Sanam Luang, Book Zone

(4) Sanam Luang as a home for Ones

         Despite not being built to be a park, Sanam Luang has served several functions due to its vast open space, proximity to significant places, and prominent tourist attractions within Phra Nakhon. The Siamese Revolution of 1932 has made Sanam Luang cater more to the public. When Field Marshal P. Phibunsongkhram held the office, Sanam Luang acted as a public space. It was the venue for “Sanam Luang Flea Market”, a response to the policy to have a flea market in every province to stimulate the local economy. It provided, too, a platform for expressing and debating political ideas or “Hyde Park” (the Speakers Corner). Unfortunately, the Flea Market initiative was abolished in the era of General Kriangsak Chamanan. Under him, Sanam Luang turned into a recreation park, a place filled with activities; picnicking, playing sports, and any activities not in direct conflict with the government’s perspective. Sometimes, the state’s attempt to renovate the field does put an end to activities enjoyed by the people. However, such attempts do not negate the public space aspect of Sanam Luang. On the other hand, it introduces people to Sanam Luang and its legacy.


สนามม้าสำหรับคนไทย ที่เหลือไว้เพียงชื่อ
     ราชตฤณมัยสมาคม หรือ เรียกกันโดยทั่วไปว่า สนามม้านางเลิ้ง เป็นสนามแข่งม้าและสปอร์ตคลับตั้งอยู่บนถนนพิษณุโลก บริเวณย่านนางเลิ้ง เมื่อ พ.ศ. 2456 พระยาประดิพัทธภูบาลและพระยาอรรถการประสิทธิ์ ขอพระราชทานพระบรมราชานุญาตและที่ดินบริเวณตำบลนางเลิ้งจากพระบาทสมเด็จพระมงกุฎเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว เพื่อสร้างสนามม้าสำหรับคนไทย และพระองค์เสด็จฯ เปิดสนามม้า เมื่อวันที่ 18 ธันวาคม พ.ศ. 2459 พระราชทานนามว่า ราชตฤณมัยสมาคม
     ภายในราชตฤณมัยสมาคมฯ มีสนามแข่งม้าและมีพื้นที่สำหรับการบำรุงพันธุ์ม้าโดยเฉพาะ เนื่องจากม้าส่วนใหญ่นำเข้ามาจากต่างประเทศ ต้องได้รับการดูแลเป็นพิเศษ ต่อมามีการเพิ่มและต่อเติมพื้นที่สำหรับกีฬาชนิดอื่น ๆ เช่น บิลเลียด กอล์ฟ เทนนิส และฟุตบอล เป็นต้น กลายเป็นที่พบปะสังสรรค์และสปอร์ตคลับของเหล่าเจ้านายในสมัยนั้น การแข่งม้าถือเป็นทั้งความบันเทิงและการพนันอย่างหนึ่งที่เป็นที่นิยมอยู่ช่วงเวลาหนึ่ง แต่ในยุคสมัยต่อมาความนิยมก็ลดลงไป
     ปัจจุบัน ราชตฤณมัยสมาคมฯ ที่มีอายุกว่า 102 ปี ปิดตัวลง เนื่องจากหมดสัญญาการเช่าพื้นที่ โดยการแข่งม้าครั้งสุดท้ายเกิดขึ้นเมื่อวันที่ 16 กันยายน พ.ศ.2561

The Government House Premise and Thai Khu Fah Building

The government house is a crucial government compound. It serves as the official workplace of the prime minister, deputy prime minister, state officials of the prime minister’s office, and other related departments. On some occasions, the premise is used for receiving distinguished guests or hosting social functions such as the celebration of His Majesty the King’s birthday. The house was formerly “Villa Norasingh” and belonged to General Chao Phraya Ram Rakop (Mom Luang Fua Phuengbun), one of King Vajiravudh’s closest courtiers. In 1941, it became the government house because of Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram (Field Marshal P. Phibunsongkhram), the then prime minister. The premise comprises, for instance, Thai-Khu-Fah Building, Santimaitree Building, and Nareesamosorn Building.