The History

1912

John Sampson & Son Department Store

1926

Suthadilok Department Store

1933

The Department of Public and Municipal Works or The Department of Public Works

2001

King Prajadhipok Museum

1912

John Sampson & Son Department Store

1926

Suthadilok Department Store

1933

The Department of Public and Municipal Works or The Department of Public Works

2001

King Prajadhipok Museum

1912

After the completion of the construction, John Sampson & Son signed a lease contract with the Department of Privy Purse for 15-year rental of the premises at 1,150 baht per month to operate a business of selling imported fabrics and custom-made suits, imported goods such as furniture and jewelry.

1919

The firm registered as “John Sampson & Son Limited Liability Company” on March, listing Mr. Frederick Sampson as the Managing Director and Mr. H.O. Saunders as the Manager.

1921

the store requested permission from the Department of Privy Purse to expand the building. It wished to connect the building to the existing warehouse and use bricks for the expansion with a door linking the two parts. The new roof was made of concrete tiles.

1924

The store run into financial difficulties.

1925

The store asked to terminate the building rental lease with the Department of Privy Purse.

1926

The contract was deemed to have expired and the store returned the building to the Department of Privy Purse.

1926

Luang Maitriwanich (Chalerm Yotmani), the owner of Suthadilok Department Store, and Mr. B.A. Euminju, its manager, entered into a 15 year lease contract to rent the premises and sell imported merchandise, notably modern construction materials, sanitary ware, rice mills equipment, beverages, tricycle, household utensils, pressure lanterns, fence lanterns, and glassware.

1930

A new contract between Suthadilok Department Store and the Department of Privy Purse was signed and in effect from 1 October 1930 to 30 September 1932.

The photo shown location of The King Prajadhipok Museum in 2541 BE
Source : Royal Thai Survey Department

1933

Prior to the contract, Phra Phisan Sukhumvit (Prasop Sukhum), the director-general of The Department of Public and Municipal Works submitted a written notice, requesting permission to inspect the building conditions and to renovate the building. The Department intended to expand the previous two storey warehouse to three storey, using wood as the sole material while keeping the old roof.

1935

Phra Phisan Sukhumvit (Prasop Sukhum), the director general of the Department of Public and Municipal Works, rented the premises as its office.

1936

The Department requested permission from the Department of Privy Purse to re-build the main staircases at the hallway into split staircases, dividing the left and right side as seen today.

1971

The Department of Public Works sought permission to construct a new office building at the back of the premises to accommodate the agency’s expansion. It was to be a six-storey reinforced concrete building, with a steel bridge connecting it to the old building.

1995

While the Department of Public Works was still renting the premises as its office space, the Fine Arts Department registered the building as a heritage site. “The Fine Arts Department registered the building as a heritage site, which status was announced in the Royal Gazette, No.112, Section 59 Ngor from the National Register of Heritage Sites,
Vol 3 1991-1996.”

1998

The Department of Public Works moved its office to a new location on RAMA VI road.

1999

The Department of Public Works entrusted Sivakorn Construction Ltd. to lead the renovation project. Supervised by archeologists from the Fine Arts Department, the project lasted 540 days. It resulted in the complete removal of the old roof to reinforce the wooden structure and the installation of purlins, thermal insulations, curved roofing sheets, and stainless-steel rain gutters. Likewise, stucco decorations and damaged floors had been repaired and replaced by the same materials. Additionally, to facilitate the shift towards the air-conditioning system, teakwood framed glass doors and windows were added to the old void spaces, blending seamlessly with the original doors and windows. Furthermore, the building on Lan Luang Road’s side was demolished.

2001

King Prajadhipok Institute continued to rent the building from the Crown Property Bureau and was granted the rights by the Department of Public Works to take overand renovate the site and stage a permanent exhibition of the life and works of King Prajadhipok and Queen Rambhai Barni. The Serene Architects Co., Ltd was responsible for the design and renovation, while Pico (Thailand) Public Company Limited handled the interior design.

2002

His majesty, the late King Bhumibol authorized then HRH the Crown Prince to represent him in augurating the museum.

Explore King Prajadhipok Virtual Museum : kpi-vmuseum.com

ถนนพระสุเมรุ

ป้อมพระสุเมรุในอดีต

     ถนนพระสุเมรุ เป็นถนนที่อยู่ในย่านสำคัญ ด้วยมีชุมชนหลายแห่ง สถานที่สำคัญทางศาสนา และเป็นย่านการค้าแสนคึกครื้นมาตั้งแต่อดีต จุดเริ่มต้นของถนนอยู่ที่ป้อมพระสุเมรุ ติดกับถนนพระอาทิตย์ พาดยาวเลียบคลองบางลำพูไปจนถึงถนนราชดำเนินกลางบริเวณแยกผ่านฟ้าลีลาศ และยังตัดผ่านไปยังถนนหลายสาย เช่น ถนนพระอาทิตย์ ถนนจักรพงษ์ ถนนตะนาว ถนนสามเสน ถนนประชาธิปไตย และถนนดินสอ 

     ชื่อถนนนั้นเป็นไปตามชื่อตามป้อมพระสุเมรุที่อยู่ต้นสาย ป้อมพระสุเมรุ เป็นหนึ่งในสิบสี่ป้อมที่สร้างขึ้นตั้งแต่รัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระพุทธยอดฟ้าจุฬาโลกมหาราช รัชกาลที่ 1 และยังเป็นป้อมที่มีอยู่ในปัจจุบัน เช่นเดียวกับป้อมมหากาฬ

Phra Sumen Road

Phra Sumen Fort in the Past

Phra Sumen Road runs through a long-established commercial district comprising many communities, religious sites, and rows of shophouses. The road itself starts at Phra Sumen Fort where Phra Atit Road ends. Its route leads alongside Bang Lamphu canal and finishes at Phan Fa Lilat intersection of Ratchadamnoen Klang Road. It connects with several other roads such as Phra Atit Road, Chakrabongse Road, Tanao Road, Samsen Road, Prachathipatai Road, and Dinso Road.
The road is named after Phra Sumen Fort, its starting point. One of the fourteen forts built in the reign of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke (King Rama I), this fort and Mahakan fort are now the only two forts left standing as historical sites in Phra Nakhon.

พระเมรุมาศ พระบาทสมเด็จพระจุลจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว รัชกาลที่ 5

พระราชพิธีพืชมงคลจรดพระนังคัลแรกนาขวัญ เนื่องในโอกาสวันพืชมงคล วันที่ 13 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ.2509

งาน นาเชอนนัล เอกซฮิบิชัน (National Exhibition) ในคราวฉลองพระนครครบรอบ 100 ปี พ.ศ. 2425 รัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระจุลจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว

งานฉลองรัฐธรรมนูญ ณ สนามหลวง พ.ศ.2481

มณพิธีท้องสนามหลวง

     สนามหลวง หรือเรียกกันตามชื่อเดิมว่า ทุ่งพระเมรุ เนื่องจากใช้เป็นพื้นที่สำหรับพระเมรุมาศถวายพระเพลิงพระบรมศพพระมหากษัตริย์และพระราชวงศ์ชั้นสูง สร้างขึ้นในรัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระพุทธยอดฟ้าจุฬาโลกมหาราช ในช่วงรัชกาลที่ 1 ถึง รัชกาลที่ 3 การใช้พื้นที่ท้องสนามหลวงเป็นไปตามพระราชประสงค์ของพระมหากษัตริย์ในการประกอบพระราชพิธีต่าง ๆ เท่านั้น เช่น พิธีแรกนาขวัญ พระราชพิธีพืชมงคล พระราชพิธีพิรุณศาสตร์ (พิธีขอฝน) และการทำนาหลวง เป็นต้น

     ในรัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระจุลจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว สนามหลวงได้รับการปรับปรุงให้มีพื้นที่กว้างขึ้น เพื่อรองรับการเปลี่ยนแปลงในแง่ของการใช้งานที่จะเกิดขึ้นจากอิทธิพลของตะวันตกที่เริ่มเข้ามาตั้งแต่สมัยรัชกาลที่ 4 ทำให้กิจกรรมที่เกิดขึ้นบนท้องสนามหลวงมีความหลากหลาย ค่อย ๆ เปิดรับให้ประชาชนเข้ามามีส่วนร่วมมากยิ่งขึ้น ประกอบไปด้วย งานฉลองพระนครครบรอบ 100 ปี ที่มีกระบวนพยุหยาตราอันยิ่งใหญ่ การจัด “นาเชอนนัล เอกซฮิบิเชน (National Exhibition)” เป็นการแสดงสินค้าที่ผลิตในประเทศสยามให้ประชาชนเข้าชมเป็นเวลา 3 เดือน และการตั้งโรงทานรอบสนามหลวง ต่อมาในรัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระมงกุฎเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว มีการใช้สนามหลวงเป็นที่สวนสนามและการซ้อมรบของเหล่าเสือป่าและลูกเสือ สืบเนื่องมาจนถึงรัชสมัยพระบาทสมเด็จพระปกเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว ที่ยังคงมีการจัดงานพระราชพิธีบนท้องสนามหลวงเรื่อยมา แม้ว่าบางงานจะมิได้ใหญ่โตเอิกเกริก เนื่องจากภาวะเศรษฐกิจตกต่ำในประเทศขณะนั้นก็ตาม ภายหลังการเปลี่ยนแปลงการปกครอง พ.ศ.2475 จึงเป็นจุดเปลี่ยนของสนามหลวงที่เปิดรับประชาชนอย่างเต็มกำลังในขณะเดียวกัน ยังคงเป็นพื้นที่ของพระราชพิธีและรัฐพิธีอยู่แสดงให้เห็นถึงการใช้พื้นที่ร่วมกัน แม้การ
เปลี่ยนแปลงของสนามหลวงในปัจจุบัน จะทำให้ภาพของประชาชนเลือนรางไปก็ตาม

สนามหลวง: ในฐานะพื้นที่สาธารณะของประชาชน

(1) การเล่นว่าว การแข่งขันและกิจกรรมยามว่างสำหรับประชาชน

(2) ตลาดนัดสนามหลวง ส่วนที่จำหน่ายต้นไม้และพืชพันธุ์ต่าง ๆ

(3) ตลาดนัดสนามหลวง มุมหนังสือสำหรับนักอ่าน

(4) สนามหลวงในฐานะที่พักพิงของใครหลาย ๆ คน

     ถึงแม้ว่าสนามหลวงจะไม่ได้เกิดขึ้นมาเพื่อเป็นสวนสาธารณะ แต่ลักษณะของสนามหลวงสามารถตอบโจทย์กิจกรรมได้หลายรูปแบบ เนื่องจากมีพื้นที่กว้างใหญ่ อยู่ใกล้สถานที่สำคัญและแหล่งท่องเที่ยวในพระนครภายหลังการเปลี่ยนแปลงการปกครอง พ.ศ.2475 บทบาทของสนามหลวงเปลี่ยนไปอย่างเห็นได้ชัด มีการจัดกิจกรรมที่เกี่ยวข้องกับประชาชนมากขึ้นจากเดิม อาทิ ในสมัยที่จอมพล ป. พิบูลสงคราม เป็นนายกรัฐมนตรี สนามหลวงรับบทเป็นพื้นที่สาธารณะ ด้วยการใช้เป็น “ตลาดนัดสนามหลวง” ซึ่งเป็นผลมาจากนโยบายให้มีตลาดนัดทุกจังหวัดเพื่อกระตุ้นเศรษฐกิจ และเป็นพื้นที่ที่ได้รับอนุญาตให้จัดเวทีปราศรัยแสดงความคิดเห็นทางการเมือง เรียกว่า “ไฮปาร์ก” หลังจากนั้นถึงแม้ว่าตลาดนัดจะถูกยกเลิกไปในสมัยของพล.อ. เกรียงศักดิ์ ชมะนันท์ สนามหลวงกลายมาเป็นสถานที่พักผ่อนหย่อนใจของประชาชน มีกิจกรรมเกิดขึ้นมากมาย เช่น การเป็นสวนสาธารณะ การเล่นกีฬา และสิ่งที่ไม่ขัดกับมุมมองของรัฐ มีหลายครั้งที่รัฐพยายามจัดโครงการปรับปรุงพื้นที่ เป็นเหตุให้กิจกรรมเหล่านั้นของประชาชนถูกยกเลิกไป แต่นั่นไม่ได้ทำให้ความเป็นพื้นที่สาธารณะของสนามหลวงหายไป ในทางกลับกัน นี่ทำให้ประชาชนหลายคนรู้จักและรับรู้ถึงเหตุการณ์ต่าง ๆ ที่เกิดขึ้น ณ ที่แห่งนี้

The Royal Cremation of H.M. King Chulalongkorn (King Rama V)

The Royal Ploughing Ceremony on 13th May 1966

National Exhibition on the Occasion of the 100th Anniversary of Phra Nakorn in 1882 in the Reign of H.M. King Chulalongkorn

The Celebration of the Constitution Day in 1938

          Constructed in the reign of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke (Rama I), this vast open field earned its original name, Thung Phra Men, from its purpose as a royal cremation ground for past kings and close relatives. Throughout the reign of King Rama I to King Rama III, the function of Sanam Luang was linked to the wish of the King and royal ceremonies. For example, it was the venue for the Royal Ploughing Ceremony, the Harvest Festival, the Rain-Beckoning Rituals, and the location of Royal paddy fields during rice-planting seasons.

          In the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V), Sanam Luang was expanded to accommodate new functions. The western influence had been steadily increasing ever since the reign of King Mongkut (Rama IV). It gave rise to various activities taking place on the ground, encouraging more participation by the people. Examples of such activities were the centennial celebration of Bangkok with its grand royal procession and the National Exhibition that displayed Siamese-made products and was open to the general public for three months. At the time, there was an establishment of several almshouses around the premise as well. Later, in the reign of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI), Sanam Luang was used for military parade inspection. It was also a training ground for the King’s paramilitary militia, Wild Tiger Corps and Tiger Cups, its youth counterpart. In the Reign of King Prajadhipok (Rama VII), royal ceremonies were still held on the ground, albeit on a smaller scale, due to the then economic crisis. The Siamese Revolution of 1932 was a turning point where the function of Sanam Luang had shifted to fully accept the people, while simultaneously maintaining its status as a ceremonial site for both the state and the crown. It depicts how the space is shared across the board, although subsequent changes may omit the people from the picture somewhat.

(1) Kite Surfing, One of the most famous activities on Sanam Luang

(2) The Flea Market on Sanam Luang, Plant Market Zone

(3) The Flea Market on Sanam Luang, Book Zone

(4) Sanam Luang as a home for Ones

         Despite not being built to be a park, Sanam Luang has served several functions due to its vast open space, proximity to significant places, and prominent tourist attractions within Phra Nakhon. The Siamese Revolution of 1932 has made Sanam Luang cater more to the public. When Field Marshal P. Phibunsongkhram held the office, Sanam Luang acted as a public space. It was the venue for “Sanam Luang Flea Market”, a response to the policy to have a flea market in every province to stimulate the local economy. It provided, too, a platform for expressing and debating political ideas or “Hyde Park” (the Speakers Corner). Unfortunately, the Flea Market initiative was abolished in the era of General Kriangsak Chamanan. Under him, Sanam Luang turned into a recreation park, a place filled with activities; picnicking, playing sports, and any activities not in direct conflict with the government’s perspective. Sometimes, the state’s attempt to renovate the field does put an end to activities enjoyed by the people. However, such attempts do not negate the public space aspect of Sanam Luang. On the other hand, it introduces people to Sanam Luang and its legacy.

ราชตฤณมัยสมาคมแห่งประเทศไทย
ในพระบรมราชูปถัมภ์

สนามม้าสำหรับคนไทย ที่เหลือไว้เพียงชื่อ
     ราชตฤณมัยสมาคม หรือ เรียกกันโดยทั่วไปว่า สนามม้านางเลิ้ง เป็นสนามแข่งม้าและสปอร์ตคลับตั้งอยู่บนถนนพิษณุโลก บริเวณย่านนางเลิ้ง เมื่อ พ.ศ. 2456 พระยาประดิพัทธภูบาลและพระยาอรรถการประสิทธิ์ ขอพระราชทานพระบรมราชานุญาตและที่ดินบริเวณตำบลนางเลิ้งจากพระบาทสมเด็จพระมงกุฎเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว เพื่อสร้างสนามม้าสำหรับคนไทย และพระองค์เสด็จฯ เปิดสนามม้า เมื่อวันที่ 18 ธันวาคม พ.ศ. 2459 พระราชทานนามว่า ราชตฤณมัยสมาคม
     ภายในราชตฤณมัยสมาคมฯ มีสนามแข่งม้าและมีพื้นที่สำหรับการบำรุงพันธุ์ม้าโดยเฉพาะ เนื่องจากม้าส่วนใหญ่นำเข้ามาจากต่างประเทศ ต้องได้รับการดูแลเป็นพิเศษ ต่อมามีการเพิ่มและต่อเติมพื้นที่สำหรับกีฬาชนิดอื่น ๆ เช่น บิลเลียด กอล์ฟ เทนนิส และฟุตบอล เป็นต้น กลายเป็นที่พบปะสังสรรค์และสปอร์ตคลับของเหล่าเจ้านายในสมัยนั้น การแข่งม้าถือเป็นทั้งความบันเทิงและการพนันอย่างหนึ่งที่เป็นที่นิยมอยู่ช่วงเวลาหนึ่ง แต่ในยุคสมัยต่อมาความนิยมก็ลดลงไป
     ปัจจุบัน ราชตฤณมัยสมาคมฯ ที่มีอายุกว่า 102 ปี ปิดตัวลง เนื่องจากหมดสัญญาการเช่าพื้นที่ โดยการแข่งม้าครั้งสุดท้ายเกิดขึ้นเมื่อวันที่ 16 กันยายน พ.ศ.2561

The Government House Premise and Thai Khu Fah Building

The government house is a crucial government compound. It serves as the official workplace of the prime minister, deputy prime minister, state officials of the prime minister’s office, and other related departments. On some occasions, the premise is used for receiving distinguished guests or hosting social functions such as the celebration of His Majesty the King’s birthday. The house was formerly “Villa Norasingh” and belonged to General Chao Phraya Ram Rakop (Mom Luang Fua Phuengbun), one of King Vajiravudh’s closest courtiers. In 1941, it became the government house because of Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram (Field Marshal P. Phibunsongkhram), the then prime minister. The premise comprises, for instance, Thai-Khu-Fah Building, Santimaitree Building, and Nareesamosorn Building.